Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Horizon? Yes, and it looks decent today.

Got a gig! Will share when a piece actually goes up.

It seems this last leg of the month is always crammed full of writing. With the last minute lunge to get Estella's Revenge online, I feel most "writerly" right now. Formatting author interviews, editing essays, scraping together my own work for the new issue. It's exhilarating and exhausting, and that's how I've always pictured the "writing life."

One thing I've learned in these last few months of freelancing, is that it's also wicked hard. But, surprisingly enough, I'm not as downtrodden and hopeless as I was afraid I might be after a handful (ok, dozens) of rejections. Maybe because I haven't actually received any rejections...just gigs that sort of meandered off into the sunset, backs turned, and pretended I'm not here waving my arms and screaming for some confirmation.

But I digress...

It's a mad lifestyle and it's a mad business and one just has to wade through, up to one's respective waist in shit until the ground begins to dry up and you can catch your footing again.

Press on, kids, press on.

For a real pick-me-up, read this story from New York magazine. Click HERE. While it might make you want to swan dive off of a 36-story building, there's also some odd comfort in the community aspect of writing. I've been lucky to find some of that not only among my graduate school peers, but my Lovely Ladies of Writing group, too.

(I just came up with that name, what do you girls think?)

2 comments:

Pilgrim Soul said...

Very interesting article. I wish I could find a writer's group around here. My poetry workshop ended last month, and I'm going through withdrawal from lack of support! I'm so desperate I may just start handing out my poems and red pens to folks at Target!

Andi said...

I'm finding I'm a huuuge fan of the whole writing group scenario. It really helps me keep chugging along. I like the Target idea too! lol