Monday, August 6, 2007

The Question of Planning


I wrote a novel when I was fourteen years old. If you really want to call it that. I was recovering from a childhood full of paranormal thrillers and romances by the likes of Christopher Pike, R.L. Stine and L.J. Smith. While I refuse, at the ripe ole age of 26, to look back on those authors with any ill will or embarrassment (I still re-read the L.J. Smith titles occasionally), I was definitely familiar with and fond--at the time--of formulaic plots. As a result, I got the itch to write a novel. It was a thrilling, if somewhat poorly executed, paranormal/Christian thriller type mess.

I remember sitting down at a very old word processor (not a wordprocessing program, kids, a word processor with a screen *thisbig*). I toiled away for several months sitting in front of my teeny-tiny monitor cranking out pages of single-spaced text about the heroine, Tori, and her boyfriend who looked oddly like a character from a Saturday morning teen comedy. Think Saved by the Bell, but worse. Finally, at the end of the four-month endeavor I had 86 pages of that single-spaced novel and a heart full of hope that one day, ONE DAY I might be as good as L.J. Smith.

Now, admittedly, my perspective has changed a bit. While I still enjoy the occasional fluffy romance, I'm much more interested in "literary" fiction, whatever that is by the likes of Philip Roth, Ali Smith, Siri Hustvedt and Paul Auster. I read with a feeling of wonder at how exactly they grab me by the nosehairs and keep me rapt.

Now, as I sit down to write my novel, I do so with a sense of fear that I didn't feel as a teen. I wrote that first novel with a sense of wild abandon, of committing myself to the page wholeheartedly. I didn't think too much about plot, I just let it unfold as it would. I cried when I read the emotionally heavy passages. I did all those things, as a teen, that I think I'm supposed to do now. That "real" authors say that they do.

Now I find myself planning. Planning planning planning. Scribbling, thinking, pondering, connecting the dots in my head. I can't help but wonder if I should stop thinking so much and just write.

Somehow I think that maybe I'm missing the mark on both counts; that there's some fine line between completely unprepared writing and overly planned writing.

If I find the line, you all will be the first to know...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote my first "novel" in fourth grade--it was a complete rip-off of Nancy Drew, but I was amazingly proud of the whopping 26 pages I produced. I rather miss the free feeling I had when I sat down to write as a child, when I wasn't worried about messing up and could just enjoy putting pen to paper... On the other hand, if I ever find another copy of that early attempt, I might have to burn it... :)

Imani said...

Man, when I was 12 I thought Christopher Pike was the best, most wildly unpredictable writer on the planet. Not that I'd want to re-read any of his books now....

What you need is a Paris Review collection in writer interviews where they all share different methods. Then you can mash them all together and waa laaa! book written.

Heather said...

I wrote my first play when I was in 5th grade. It was horrible, but I was so proud of it!

I think I kind of agree with you. I think some planning is called for, but I think you need to leave room for spontaneity. Otherwise you might start feeling bogged down and oppressed. I think that's where I went wrong with my last attempt at a novel. I feel so oppressed when I look at it and I think that's why I haven't worked on it in months. I really need to rip it up and start over.

Amanda Roper said...

I find that large quantites of vodka help "blur" the line (and everything else) between planning and letting loose.

So that's why there are so many alcoholic writers......

Andi said...

Sarah, same here. I do have a copy of my "novel" laying around in Texas somewhere. If I spot that green folder it's going in the shredder! lol

Imani, same here! The Christopher Pike hangover just lasted a bit longer for me.

I do need a Paris Review collection! I think I'll try to hunt one down.

Heatheroo, it makes me sad to think of you ditching what you have, but I ended up doing that with my thesis several times and it did work out all the better. Sometimes it's good to clear your mind, use what you like from the first copy and just charge in with a new mindset.

Amanda, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I don't know why I haven't tried that before. I generally stand by the philosophy that vodka cures everything. :)

Shahrzad said...

hi dear new friend,

That's amazing that most writers (professional or amateurs) start writing when they're just teenagers! As a matter of fact, I did the same, but I wasn't under the influence of any writer and that still really surprises me! I still write stories -novels, short stories, novelletes-, but just for my own sake. I love writing for the sake of writing and love to live with different characters who produce themselves on my pages without my interference! That really feels great.
I'm sure you'll soon start writing your novel and it'll be something really nice.
Wish you the best.

sojourness said...

If you were dedicated enough to write a novel at that age... I don't think you have anything to worry about. It will come.

I wrote short stories and the occasional play, but damn, a novel?

:)

Annie Wicking said...

To be a writer is to write... Me, I wrote my first novel when I was 45 so I just hope I have time enough to write another one. One is never to old to learn I just glad about that...

So for me, I guess the secret to writing is just that to write :-)

Best wishes
Annie

Andi said...

Thanks for coming by, Shahrzad! I fear I've fallen prey to the habit of actually having readers through blogging, which I fear has made me a bit scared to write and fail with a novel. Technology...what a pain in the butt sometimes, eh?? lol

Soj, I hope you're right! I'm counting on you being right, in fact!

Annie, but is it really that easy? Do you ever get caught up in your insecurities and whatnot? Too lost in your own head, I suppose? I do. It's my biggest flaw.

Annie Wicking said...

Andi, one only fails if one wants to fail. To be a writer you must write and want to write. Talk is easy, to talk about writing is the easy part, writing a book is easy too. Getting it published is the hardest part and taking rejection... How will you cope with that? Well, you take with a pinch of salt and move forward. Who said being a writer was easy?
It's not, firstly you must believe in yourself then make everyone want to read your work.

If you go to my blog, you will find I have had to overcome problems like poor education to kick start my writing career. I don't have time for self-doubts

My very best wishes to you and good luck with your writing.

Annie :-)

Andi said...

True enough, Annie. I suppose my biggest insecurities surface when it comes to my creative writing. In the academic arena I have very few self doubts because I'm well practiced and quite accomplished. This creative thing is new territory, and I can't say that I've gotten my sea legs.

Thanks for your input. :)

stu said...

The odds are that you're going to have a plan, whether you want one or not. It's just that sometimes, the plan is only in your head. You'll know more or less the story you're trying to tell. After that, hopefully you'll know the characters well enough that what they should do next seems clear. The important thing is to get writing, and keep writing.